You can always burn your own slash piles following the conditions set forth in the permit for open burning. If you don’t follow those conditions or burn without a permit, you may get a visit from a Sheriff’s deputy. If you want the department to assist you with the burning slash, please take the following steps:
1. Get a burn permit from the county https://www.larimer.org/health/clean-air-water-and-soil/air-quality/burn-permit
2. Send the approved permit number to Greg Venette (email@example.com) along with a note authorizing the Poudre Canyon Fire Protection District to burn on your property. The department will burn your slash as conditions allow, including:
- An adequate distance of the pile from structures, trees, or other heavy vegetation,
- No oversized limbs or root balls in the pile,
- Adequate snow cover, and
- Availability of volunteers to monitor burning.
If you want assistance with chipping your slash pile, contact your local Station Captain. Limitations on chipping include:
- Nothing larger than 4” in diameter,
- Availability of volunteers to assist with chipping, and
- Availability of homeowner or representative to assist with chipping.